Thursday, August 11, 2005

5th Avenue and cute poop

Mommy close upWhoops! Mommy pooped out of her diaperLike mommy like baby
Pop art in the cityBaby from belowSuper Kawaii!
Wednesday, I walked up 5th Avenue to find the cute Japanese public sculpture across from FAO Schwartz. The sculpture was sooooo cute and much more amusing and fun than the half-renovated FAO Schwartz store.

Lobby/Interior of FAO SchwartzLegolas Kens in boxesVintage Barbie style bag
Barbie Cute polka dot barbie bagMore tree stairs at FAO Schwartz
Yet I am always fascinated by FAO's doll section. I find parts of it somewhat disturbing, because some dolls have creepy faces and some emulate rather ostentatious fashions and real-world personas. Obviously these are designed for grownup collectors, not kids. I took a picture of the Legolas Ken doll for Karen. Another one was deemed "Daria, fashion doll of the moment" --which really looked like Paris Hilton. I actually liked the retro Barbie-styled "Puchi Bags" --and then I realized that these were meant for carrying little dogs, and they each cost about $400! So I settled for photos of the real thing.

I like the pink contrasting with all the cool colorsLaugh, clown, laughHenri Bendel interior
Henri Bendel ceilingTrump TowerTrompe L'Oeil at Tiffany's
I then browsed other fancy 5th Avenue stores. I was amused by the Bergdorf Goodman displays, which had giant post-it murals of clowns set as a backdrop behind their mannequins. High fashion is so amusing. And fun!

Then I looked around Henri Bendel; they had some wacky Heatherette fashion displays. I really enjoyed the Takashimaya department store, which had a lot of distinctive and cute clothes and housewares. It was all too upscale for me, so I finally stopped at Zara and picked up more affordable shoes and a top.

livingroom bookshelvesThen I cabbed over to go stay at Bill and Jenn's new upper west apartment, which is really great! They have skylights, access to a cute patio roof, and open space for all their appealing wood furniture and art. I noticed Bill is painting again, because he had a new oil-painting portrait of his friend Alex on his drawing table. Jenn has a great windowed office with views of neighboring gardens and trees. Their landlord is letting me stay in his extra guestroom downstairs, which is already bigger than my apartment and has its own bathroom.

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home