Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Various thoughts of the last week.

  • How the hell am I going to live a New York apartment, half the size of my San Francisco apartment?

  • Tragically, I've decided to sell the Junebug. Know anyone interested in a 2004 Convertible Turbo VW Beetle in Aquarius blue, with practically new tires? I'll try not to cry.

  • I use mobile texting a lot, but being asked out by a mobile text is a strange thing. I thought it was a Gen-Y move, vs. a Gen-X move, but in fact this has happened to me with older guys! Or maybe this is just the way guys operate these days, where they don't want to make it seem too "datey" but more casual, and if I happen to like the evening it becomes a date? But in the end it's really a date, isn't it?

    Getting asked out by mobile text strikes me as a little bit chicken, which is not a turn-on. And it strikes me as a "player" move, (also NOT a turn-on) because you could be texting while you're out with other people or other dates. Texting can be a multi-task sort of thing. I don't like the idea of being part of a multi-task.

    Back in the day, 15-year old boys had to pick up a phone and talk to a girl. If you're over 30, can you make the effort to talk to me? If I like you, I'll want to hear your voice. Am I old-fashioned?

    Or maybe nowadays, the texting is a early-stage thing, and the voice call comes later? I guess I could handle that. But it better move up to the voice call quickly. Or maybe guys don't like the sound of my voice, is that what they're saying?

  • On my Karaoke Revolution game, I now have a virtual room of heads... of my San Francisco friends. That is, when I play karaoke in New York, I'll be able to pick one of their scanned heads to be on my player/singer. Is that creepy or sentimental? Both?

  • After having about 3-5 cups of sake, maybe I shouldn't follow it with 3 shots of tequila.

  • I know two people who have already shown me their iPhones. I guess they seem nifty, but that little keyboard is hard to type. And I didn't quite get the hang of the resize-drag. And knowing me, I would totally scratch up that screen in about a week's time.

  • Okay, what is up with the dudes? I had like a 2-year dating dry spell, and last week I suddenly got the attention of 3 attractive guys, and this week, I hear nothing from ANY of them.

    I guess it doesn't help that I'm in mid-move to a new state. And I guess they know I'm traveling this week. But I am guessing that is not the issue. Is there any romance left in the modern metropolitan world? Thank God I have New York & toys to distract me from this nonsense.

  • I saw that low-budget movie, "Colma." I thought it might be a sleeper-fun-slacker-indie film. But no. It made me want to go to sleep. I think there could be a more amusing musical made about my apartment complex. Or my livingroom. Or my dollhouse.

  • Why do I have to wear a wool coat in JULY? (Yes, I know. I'll be bitching about the humidity next month when I finally move to New York.) At least it'll be warm when I get to Chicago for 4th of July. Happy Independence Day!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it when boys text me -- or email -- because I HATE talking on the phone. Texting, IM and email saved my love life, I swear.

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha! Welcome to NY! When I moved from NY to SF and got an apt, I thought: "Wow, this place is so BIG!"

Also, female friends of mine in NY have been complaining that a lot of guys are texting them instead of calling them nowadays. A few have been asked out over mobile text too. So you'll probably get that in NY.

(One was even asked out via an Evite. Imagine that.)

In noisy bars & clubs, it can be a good thing, so I'm told. Some people find it easier to reject someone over text than over a phone (or face-to-face) too.

I think it's pretty damn sad. But what can I say... times a'changin'. Our kids are going to grow up in an age where getting a girl's email, chat ID, or URL is going to replace a girl's phone number. Sad.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy 4th! I hope you're having a great time with your travels before you make your permanent move to NYC. xoxo penny

7:15 AM  
Blogger tatertot said...

i say embrace the texting. perfect the art of e-flirting. yes, i said that. it happens.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Jenny Lee Photography said...

asking you out by texting seems like a techy and shy guy to me. maybe he is afraid of rejection, its better to get rejected over texting than hearing the words over the phone.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home