Monday, February 28, 2005

My Oscar Recap

I have missed the Oscars the last couple of years because I was on a plane both times. But this year I got to watch it. Here are my reactions:

Fashion:

People are dressing better! I didn't see any horrific outfits. Even Natalie Portman and Drew Barrymore, who normally pick random outfits for these awards, showed up in flattering and classy dresses. Even though Hilary Swank's all-black, super-low back seemed to draw the greatest response, I think Cate Blanchett looked the prettiest. And Beyonce, Penelope Cruz, and Salma Hayek always look hot. Anyone notice that Emmy Rossum's dress looked a bit much like Renee Zellweger's? Everyone had the slim bodice with poofy fish-tail style dress. And there was a lot of satiny gold and yellow. If unoriginal, at least it was pretty.

On the winners:

Yay for The Incredibles winning best animated film! I'd say it was one of the best films of the year, if not the best. (Not that Shrek 2 wasn't excellent, but Shrek 2 already earned the most money, so I don't think they're crying too much.)

I wished Eternal Sunshine got more nominations. So I was glad to see Charlie Kaufmann win for writing.

I wished Cate Blanchett won the year that Gwyneth took Best Actress for Shakespeare in Love, so I'm glad Cate won Best Supporting Actresses for The Aviator.

Everyone knew who would win for Best Actor and Actress, so that was no surprise.

Clint Eastwood, seriously, is the MAN! --Even though I haven't seen his last two Oscar-winning films. Actually, I don't think I've seen any of his films. I'm sure they're good, but I don't think I'm manly enough for them.

I think when more than one person gets to accept an award, they should each get a chance to speak! Damned orchestra.

On the show presentation:

I liked the use of the Kodak theater stage floor and overhanging screens. I also liked the efficiency of presenting some of the "smaller" categories, while giving the nominees more screen-time by having them all sit or sand together (like beauty pageant runner-ups) while the nominees are listed.

Chris Rock: funny, kept it real with the insults, but also kept the show moving! However I still want to see Ellen DeGeneres host the Oscars someday.

Babs! If you forgot your glasses to present the best picture category, maybe you should tell Dustin Hoffman before you get onstage!

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home