Sunday, January 30, 2005

Fun, Fun, Fun in NYC

I just got back from a short trip with my boyfriend to New York city, where I met up with his family to watch his sister debut in the new musical, Good Vibrations.

Here are some highlights (and lowlights):

My boyfriend, Todd, catches an awful cold and then passes his germs to me.

Amanda (Todd's sister) stars in Good Vibrations as "Bikini Girl" (that is actually how she is credited) and is the cute girl in the show.

NYC was freezing. At one point, it was 4 degrees outside. (WTF!) Yet all my boyfriend's beautiful sisters and stylish mom all persevered in cute little dresses, skirts, and fancy open-toed shoes, dodging piles of ice and snow on the sidewalks.

Todd's dad rents a limo for our ride to the theater. It was my first limo ride!

A reporter from Akron Beacon Journal follows us around on both nights that we saw the show. (I think Amanda and her family will have to start getting used to this media attention as she becomes a big star.)

NBC cameras stop my boyfriend's family for a brief interview outside the theater. When they ask the parents if they ever thought their daughter would be "Bikini Girl" on Broadway, Todd's dad says "No," but Todd's mom says "Yes!"

The first night we see the show, we sit in the very front row. So at the finale, of course Todd's family stands up cheering, dancing, and singing. His dad high-fives the lead guy, "Eddie" while he's dancing/singing, and then Eddie takes Todd's mom's hands and boogies with her while standing onstage.

Mike Love of the original Beach Boys, Micky Dolenz of the Monkees, and Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser, M.D. and also once starred in the musical, Rent) are spotted at the show and at the after-party.

After the second night we see the show, I go into the bathroom to hear all the ladies raving about it. One woman says, "Next time I come back to see it, I'll be wearing a swimsuit!"

At one point in the show, the girls onstage are running around in bikinis and multi-colored Uggs.

Amanda brings the family and me backstage to see her teeny dressing room filled with flowers and bright costumes. We also see where the band sits, which is a teeny cramped platform beneath the stage.

I get to check out the new MOMA down the street from the hotel and bought some wacky Japanese creature figurines and a mini screwdriver set by Muji.

I go window-shopping in Soho with my cousin Bill. I didn't buy anything, but we were very impressed that Jack Spade carried a ping-pong paddle case (in camouflage canvas that also holds ping pong balls). Bill buys gloves from Coach. Coach is already sold out of the new white purse with polka dots that I want. Boo!

I meet my cousins for a yummy and highly filling Japanese dinner at Ise. I got to see my tiny cousin Miranda and her pregnant tummy (which just looks as big as my non-pregnant self)-- she is expecting a girl! Yay, girls are rad. I know too many people w/ baby boys.

I wish I stayed longer to see more of NYC, and to spend more time with my cousins and Todd's family, but I am also glad to be back in warmer weather so I can recuperate from this annoying cold.

If you're in NYC anytime soon, see Good Vibrations! It's a lot of fun, with an amusing teenage love story (similar to Grease). And who doesn't like the musical harmonies of the Beach Boys? My favorite songs in the show are "God only Knows" and "Good Vibrations." And if you're lucky, you might leave with a free beach ball. :D (You won't miss Amanda; she's the tall-leggy blonde with the big glowing grin.)

(note: Images were taken from ohio.com, by Lew Stamp/ABJ)

(See other pics by Todd's dad)

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home