Monday, March 28, 2005

A-B-C, easy as 1-2-thrrrreeesssimo

Everyone loves to poke fun at Bono for starting his Vertigo song with, "Uno, Dos, Tres, Catorce," which means "One, two, three, fourteen."

I believe Bono was taking artistic license, because "catorce" had that extra flair he needed. He's fancy that way.

On the other hand, I don't think my friends (who are usually extremely bright) were taking artistic license when they made recent spelling errors that actually made me twitch when I saw them. So here is a little spelling bee review from the original Word Racer queen.

Side note: Word Racer (an online word game available on Yahoo! Games and the PC version of Yahoo! Messenger) is like a real-time Boggle, on speed. Sometimes when I win, other online players are such sore losers, that they cuss at me or attack me with racial epithets. I have since taken a break from the game, so as not to upset other people.

BTW I am sure, in the rush of things, I make spelling errors myself (especially on IM), but I thought I'd offer some helpful hints in case my wonderful friends have simply forgotten a few basics:

"Peak" is the that thing at the top of a mountain. Or think of the tip of a bird's "beak." "Peek" is when you take a quick look at something, like a "sneak peek." Just pretend the "e"-s are a pair of eyes.

"Heel" is the back part of the shoe, like "high-heeled shoes." Or picture an "eel" in "heels". "Heal" is what happens to an injury when it starts to feel better. Think "Health."

"It's" is a contraction of "It is," and "its" is a possessive form.

"La Jolla" is a city in San Diego, pronounced "La Hoya," like the boxer, Oscar de la Hoya. I don't know what "La Hoha" is.

That is our segment from Miss Spelling Priss.
Now we will return to the usual misocrazy madness.

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home