Monday, October 31, 2005

How I nearly pulled a muscle posing for a photo

Kareem vs. Bruce
Hi-YAAAAA!
Originally uploaded by misocrazy.
Just another day at the office... full of distractions to keep me from getting actual work done. I shall catch up on work while I watch some late night tv.

Okay, I lied in my earlier blog entry; I did dress up this year for Halloween. To my surprise, the costume I ordered online arrived on time.

Also to my surprise, there was no costume contest this year at the office. In all my 6+ years at this company, this is the first time they eliminated the contest. Instead, they just gave free lunches to everyone who dressed up for the parade.

I suspect this is in reaction to last year's debacle of a contest in which our much more deserving emoticon costume lost to a White-Trash costume entry. Or maybe it's just that our company has gotten so large, managing an online-voted costume contest was going to be a logistical nightmare. Or maybe it was to avoid more potentially freakish, HR-violating costume photo entries like the ones from the Atlanta office last year. Or maybe it was so that everyone could go away from "Yaboo" a winner!

In any case, "Kareem" and I did get some applause for our "Game of Death" recreation, and it was cute to see all the children in their costumes. I could have done without the Halloween-themed food, though; it made it very hard for me to want my free lunch. I resorted to tofu, green beans, and curry chicken instead of the grody Halloween specials.

A lot of people kept asking me, "Oh, are you Uma??" or "Where is your sword? Don't you need a blonde wig?"

While I appreciate that people recognize that I am female, unlike Bruce Lee, ... I am not tall, white, with shoulder-length blonde hair like Uma either. Of course, I recognize that some people were either too young to remember the original Bruce Lee film, Game of Death, or not into kung fu movies.

So, kudos to those who recognized the original bearer of the yellow jumpsuit, Bruce Lee. Now I just need to get matching Asics in yellow with black stripes. (If you see them in size 6.5 women's, please buy them for me and I'll pay you back.) And maybe another year I'll reprise the suit with matching nunchucks, 70s sunglasses, and sparkly gold necklaces. (Who knew Bruce Lee would inspire the fashion of future rap stars?)

I hope someone in the Castro gets some awesome pictures and video of the people recreating Michael Jackson's Thriller! I'll post a pic of my jack-o-lantern later, but for now you can enjoy Brian's, Jimmy's, and Jaime's impressive ones.

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Lee Photography said...

cute costume june. careful with that kick, ha!

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home