Saturday, September 16, 2006

The case of the random sunglasses

One day I was sitting in my livingroom with my roommate, Diana, when I noticed a pair of sunglasses on the coffee table. I picked them up and asked her if the sunglasses were hers, and she said, "No." Puzzled, I said, "Huh."

So then I figured it belonged to someone who came over a few days before when I hosted a karaoke party.

With my limited sleuth skills, I looked at the sunglasses. They were tortoise-shell plastic glasses, with big lenses, in a sort of wrap-around shape. There was no designer label. I know that my face doesn't fit wraparound glasses, because my Asian nose doesn't have a prominent bridge. So I figured it was probably a Caucasian friend's glasses. And something about the shape of them made me they belonged to a woman. So that narrowed it down to my friend Joy.

But nope. Joy said they weren't hers. So I IM'd Penny, who took pictures at the party, to see if she remembered who had the sunglasses. She said, "They're Jeff's. I took a picture of him in them!" Duh.

This was especially amusing, because at the karaoke party, Jeff had a few too many drinks. After he left the party, I noticed that he had forgotten his backpack and big ol' SLR camera, and I had to run out the door after him to give him all his stuff. And the next day, I discovered he also left his bottle-opener. And now this!

Later, I went home to retrieve the glasses... but they weren't on the table anymore. Huh.

Penny helped me look all over the apartment, to no avail. Then Penny suggested that Diana had the sunglasses. But Diana was in BFE, literally. She was travelling in Egypt! Why would she have them? Anyway, I emailed Diana on the off chance that she had seen the sunglasses around... if she'd even be checking email from BFE.

Some days went by. The sunglasses didn't turn up. Jeff texted me one morning, asking me to bring them to work. I had to tell him that they were missing. He was very cool about it and said. "No worries. I'm sure they'll turn up." I wasn't so sure.

Finally, the next day I got an email from Diana that said, "Oh I'm sorry! I thought those sunglasses were yours! So I borrowed them. But I'll bring them back and clean them up!"

What in the world?? How did she think they were mine when I asked her if they were hers? --Especially since they were wraparound glasses?

I promptly had this sms text exchange:
me: Your sunglasses are in Egypt.
Jeff: Like, the country?
me: Yes, but they'll be back Tuesday.
Diana explained that she misinterpreted my "Huh." response. She figured I somehow forgot that I owned those sunglasses. The ridiculous thing is that I own at least six other sunglasses in the house, most of which were sitting on a shelf by the kitchen, and she chose to borrow the one pair of sunglasses that weren't mine.

Anyway, the case of the random sunglasses was finally solved. Phew!

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home