Wednesday, January 09, 2008

And then there were 14.

So I've started on our mini-intensive semester, called "Winterim," which the Senior class has warned us so much about. They made us think it would be the most grueling three weeks of work.

But it's not quite as grueling as they made it out to be. I mean, we are basically working all day, everyday, but it's not like we have daily deadlines that are driving us mad.

Then again, a lot of us are a bit behind, because we're supposed to complete our portfolio drawings in two weeks. For most of us, this means we have to finish 8-9 drawings. I only have barely 2 out of 8 done, and I should be further along.

I suspect that this is taking longer than usual to complete, because:
  1. We are trying to be extra careful about our final drawings
    (and there is no "undo" in non-computerized drawings)

  2. We are adjusting, adding more detail, and refining our layouts to make it perfect

  3. We are just tired from drawing everyday, all-day!
Luckily it's actually been fun, spending time with my classmates. We joke around and help each other out. And it's fun to see the improvement in our classmates. I'm trying to actually get my sleep and not stay up too late, because I need to maintain my energy for this daily schedule of work. But some of the classmates are still being nutso and staying up until 3 or 4am every night!

On the downside, we lost two of our classmates! I heard that one of them failed the last semester (--yes, the crazy lady), and that the other ended up quitting the program! It's a bit of a mixed bag; we feel pretty bad for them, but we are also relieved to no longer have to put up with the crazy one. And I'm glad the faculty realized that they couldn't let her design toys. Her work really never made sense. So we are down from 16 (including me) to 14.

On the upside, today there will be two alumni boys that will come in as T.A.'s, to assist with any rendering or layout issues.

Last week, when they stopped by to help, I think all the ladies and gay men got a little giddy, because the alumni are pretty cute. And we've all been boy-deprived a little too long. Then it occured to me that they are probably just about my age!

And it turns out that the one we like better will also be our teacher next year! But one of my classmates also found out (from chitchatting w/ the Dean), that he has a girlfriend. Of course. But will that last until next year? Hmm...

Also, yesterday we were speculating about where we might get internships, because apparently the Dean decides where we get to interview. The classmates are worried about favoritism and getting dropped at a company in the boonies or some where in the South. (We have a very multi-ethnic class, with 3 gay men, so they're worried about dealing with bigotry.) I'm guessing she's going to try to place us where there's a good fit, hopefully! I'm hoping for one in New York or California, of course.

We were figuring out how to drop hints to the Dean that we would prefer to be with certain companies. She knows I'm from California, and that I'd like to try IDEO, but I'm not sure she has a connection with IDEO. I might have more connections with IDEO than she has, come to think of it! And we heard that we basically start interviewing when the companies come to New York for the annual Toy Fair at Javitz Center (right down from my apartment!) I'm already pulling out feelers among my Cali friends to trade apartments for the summer, just in case.

And, tomorrow our Dean says she'll let us have a break, and she'll bring in popcorn and a rental movie. She hinted at what the movie was, and I think it's the one about Beatrix Potter! She said it would be good inspiration for our storybook class. I think any movie with Ewan McGregor is good inspiration in general. :D

Labels: , ,

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

3 Comments:

Blogger jmania said...

The intern scenario sounds like a perfect way to get screwed unless you fight for yourself. Reach out to your contacts at IDEO and make it happen, then just set it up so all your dean has to do, if anything, is sign a piece of paper. Otherwise who knows...

10:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

TOY FAIR?! What a dream. It's only open to traders. BAH.. You're so lucky you can go in. No kids are allowed talk about freedom. HE HE... I hope you're having fun and staying warm in NYC. It's cold out here too. BRR!!

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so imagine your days as being basically just like Project Runway. I hope you have a Tim Gunn!

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home