Thursday, January 10, 2008

Okay, school is pretty fun.

For some reason, I've decided that the FIT alumni are not as cute as I had previously thought. Maybe it's because I finally have been getting some normal nights of sleep. That will probably make things less awkward for me, when one of them becomes my teacher next year.

So today we took a break after lunch, and watched the film, Miss Potter. It was so delightful! It might be a little sappy for some, but it was of particular interest to my class, as it was about a woman who makes a great life for herself by designing some great characters that also end up making lots of money not just from the classic storybooks, but also from merchandising. Yay, toys!

But it's also fascinating true story of a very independent woman (especially for 18th century England), who defies her parents' stuffy social-climbing expectations and follows what she loves to do. And she ends up creating the best-selling children's books in her 30s... plus, she makes so much money that she uses it later to become a land conservationist! Who knew? There are also very charming animation effects, and hello, Ewan McGregor is in it! Go rent it now.

But also there's a really sad part in the middle of the story, at a point in her life that seemed a little too relate-able for me, and I couldn't help crying. And other classmates cried too, including this one guy you would never expect: he's got long black hair and always wears black. Yes, the same one who used to be a gravedigger and loves Gilmore Girls. Luckily I had extra tissues to hand out.

Well, back to work for me!

We keep our moods up during late nights of work, by playing lots of Disney songs, Queen, Cindy Lauper, Mika, Top 40, Mariah Carey, and Neil Diamond for sing-along. We probably scare the straight guys away when that starts up, since they seem to mostly head back to the dorms around dinnertime. One of them requested we play Led Zeppelin, but we vetoed that. I said that was only acceptable on Guitar Hero. I think I need to request some Blondie and Amy Winehouse to mellow out the hyper-gay mix for me.

Labels: , , ,

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home