Thursday, May 29, 2008

Dirty Designers

Sometimes I hear things in class, that might sound really bad out of context, such as these lines I've heard from our soft toy (plush sewing) class:
Sewing Assistant: Gimme your body.
Fred: What?

Jee: I really like Miso's tail! It's so fat.
Me: Yeah, I like a toy with a big booty.

K-boy: Do you like my body?
Of course, all of this is really quite innocent. The sewing assistant is always saying things that sound strange like that, because she is constantly helping us create and revise the sewing patterns for the body parts of our plush toys. And the students like to comment on each others' work.

This also came up when we were learning how to create light and shadow as we drew fashion dolls for our Computer Rendering class:
Will: Oooh. Miso, your boobs are really nice!!
And then there are other times, when we really aren't discussing toys at all:
K-boy: Your boobs grew.
Me: What?
K:boy: Your boobs grew.
Me: Uhm. No...
K-boy: (looks around the room) Jan isn't here today, so you win for biggest boobs.
I told Jan about this later, and she said, "I didn't know there was a contest." I said, "I didn't either."

Not surprisingly, this kind of inappropriate banter is usually started by a guy. I don't mind it when the gay guys do it, because it's just silly and often funny. But when the straight ones joke about boobs or whatever, it's not so funny. That just comes off as more awkward and sad. Luckily that doesn't happen much, and it's never really directed at any of the ladies in class. Cuz that would just be sexual harassment.

But don't ask me why one of the gay guys was checking out my boobs. (I think I had a more fitted sweater that day.) He is also the same one who suggested we get married, but he just wants me for the U.S. citizenship.

Labels: , ,

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenny Lee Photography said...

i'm telling you girlfriend. this 'gay' thing is just his cover. he's actually straight this WHOLE time!

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home