Monday, March 09, 2009

I'm a Toys 'R' Us Kid

For homework this week, (on top of midterms and drawing full-color toys and designing a toy commercial storyboard), I have to research what 7-to-8 year old kids like. I'm supposed to also list the things I liked when I was that age.

That was a long time ago for me! But I did my best to remember and came up with the following list, which undoubtedly dates myself, and also reveals that I really haven't changed that much.

What would you list? And if you know 7-8-year old kids now, tell me what they like too!

  • The Muppets, Sanrio, E.T.

  • Superfriends, Wonder Twins, Wonder Woman

  • A-Team, MacGyver

  • Strawberry Shortcake

  • My Little Pony, Care Bears

  • Monchichis, Smurfs


  • Fashion Plates, Oregon Trail

  • Pretty & Pink Barbie

  • Koko the Gorilla

  • That’s Incredible

  • Ripley’s Believe it or Not

  • Pac Man, Snake, Asteroids

  • Treehouses, monkeybars

  • gymnastics, hip hop dance, breakin’

  • Sea-wees (mermaids)

  • puppies & kittens

  • hula hoop, jump rope

  • Sit ‘n’ Spin, Hippity Hop

  • origami, making cards

  • my world map puzzle that reversed to a 50 states puzzle

  • Scented stickers, pencils

  • Diving rings, Twister, The Game of Life

  • Carnival games, Disneyland

  • Facts of Life, Family Ties, Diff'rent Strokes, Mork n' Mindy, Happy Days

  • singing to myself

  • tea parties with stuffed animals

  • Gambling dimes with Chinese 4-color cards against grandma

  • baking cookies and selling them to family

  • Dresses with flouncy skirts, knee-high socks, high ponytails, braids


See Wees photo from 8 Skeins of Danger

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a nice post! I can remember my days as a child playing these cool toys!

11:42 PM  
Blogger the.nicole.harvey said...

animals. science. national geographic. pretending to be a farmer. excavating the backyard. tonka trucks. In Search Of...with Leonard Nemoy. Star Wars--I had a Wookie that mysteriously "disappeared," probably because my need to drag it with me everywhere resulted in its becoming a matted mess.

not to be cynical, but I think whatever gets marketed to 7 or 8 yr olds is probably what they like (Hannah Montana, say).

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved Magical Musical Thing, Hungry Hungry Hippos, Connect 4, You Can't Do That On Television, and nerdy stuff like Speak and Spell, 3-2-1 Contact, and Mr. Wizard's World.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home