Sunday, December 31, 2006

My Year in Food

I meant to blog about some holiday antics, but that will have to wait until later. For now, here is a Top Ten list of my favorite bay area* places that I ate at this year, with highlights of recommended dishes (in no particular order):
  1. Luna Park
    Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash (side), Roasted Corn (side --though, no longer on the menu!? Maybe it's summer only), Caramel Apple Dip Dessert, Mojito, everything!

  2. Last Supper Club
    Crispy Dumplings of Taglionlini Pasta stuffed with Mozzarella, Prosciutto and Green Peas over Arrabbiata Sauce, Panna Cotta in berries

  3. Delfina Pizzeria
    Margherita pizza, or pizza of the day, Cheerwine (cherry cola)

  4. Suriya
    Tom Yum Gai, Thai Steak, Snowpea leaves

  5. Tangerine
    Spicy Corn Fritters, Squash with Tofu Green Curry, Beef short ribs, cocktails

  6. Eiji
    Any sushi, homemade tofu, dessert, everything.

  7. Samovar Tea Lounge
    Tofu Egg Bowl, Green Tea smoothie

  8. Ramblas
    garlic shrimp, pork w/ compote, hanger steak, pork loin w/ butternut squash and compote, everything.

  9. Tartine
    Croque Monsieur, chocolate pudding, cookies

  10. Miette
    Miette's Old-Fashioned Marshmallow-topped cupcake, Scharffen Berger cake, Macaroons

Honorable Mentions
  • Yummy Yummy: Salt and Pepper Crab, Pho, Crunchy Roll (Shrimp roll wrapped in fried crunchy goodness and lettuce)

  • Kiss Sushi: Omakase

  • Citizen Cupcake: Chai, with cupcake of the day, preferably Mint Chocolate cupcake, and ginger sandwich cookie --the perfect break after shopping in crowded downtown S.F.

  • KFC: Snackers (a mini-sandwich of fried chicken)

  • Panchitas: Nachos

  • McDonald's Snacker (fried chicken, lettuce, and cheese in a tortilla--eaten when I'm stuck at the airport)

  • In 'N'Out: cheeseburger

  • Beard Papa: Original Vanilla Bean Cream Puff

Things I'd like to try more of in 2007
  • Bi-Rite Creamery: It just opened! I had the coffee ice cream. They have other flavors, like a berry granitas and pumpkin ice cream. Delish.

  • Boogaloo's: Fun brunch option, but I've only eaten there once. I had the veggie biscuits and gravy.

  • Ritual Roasters: Tasty coffee; nice ambience, great logo, near fun Valencia shops

  • Mexican restaurants: I usually don't think Mexican food is that exciting, but I hear there is a lot of good Mexican around here. :)

  • Delfina: Haven't been to the main restaurant in about 8 years!

  • Tartine: I hear the Muesli is really good, and the cakes look YUM. Must go back and try it out.

  • Gelateria Naia: I forget to head over the Castro sometimes. When it gets warmer, maybe?

  • Maki: I have yet to find really good udon, as I've had in L.A.

  • Weird Fish: Nicole introduced me to this quirky little new place, now that she's expanded her vegetarianism to include fish.

  • Checking out more of Hayes Valley and the Castro

Things to try for the first time
  • Delessio Market/Bakery: I have had their cupcakes at a party but I haven't eaten at the location.

  • Hayes Street Grill: I hear this is popular for Opera-goers. I'd like to try the Opera for the first time as well.

  • Bi-Rite Market: I always browse but I have yet to buy!

  • Pancho Villa: Seriously, so close to me but have not yet tried it!

  • Pakwan: See above. But I must admit, I am rarely in the mood for Indian food.

  • Arinell's: I hear this is the best NY style pizza. And so close!

  • Bar Tartine: I like the cafe, so I imagine this would be good too.

  • Emmy's Spaghetti Shack: Who doesn't love pasta?
*If I included eateries from my travels, this would take too long. But I had some awesome food in NYC, L.A., and Chicago.

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Arinell's just like NY slice but sliced oddly.

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home