Sunday, September 23, 2007

Damn that Hannah Montana

A few of my Californian friends suggested that I keep my age mum as long as possible, to see how long it takes for my FIT classmates to figure it out.

If my classmates realllly wanted to figure it out, it would be very easy to do that by browsing my online profile info from the various social networks. But I guess they're too lazy, not interested enough, or not geeky enough to do that.

Convo #1 from Toy Design class last week:
Classmate A: What karaoke songs did you sing last night?

Me: Hmm. Mostly 80s. Do you remember The Jets?

Classmate A: (--who loves the 80s, thanks to her big sis) Oh yeah, I know them. Which song?

Me: "Make it Real." Wait, no. We did "You Got it All."

Classmate A: (looking confused)

Me: Not "Jet." "The Jets."

Classmate A: Oh. Yeah... I know Jet. The Jets? What's that?

Me: Yeah, you don't know The Jets. That was way before your time. They kinda sounded like Janet Jackson. Big Samoan family of siblings. Good stuff.
Convo #2 from Toy Design class last week:
Classmate A: (listening to her iPod) I looove Hannah Montana.

Me: Who?

Classmate A: You don't know who Hannah Montana is?

Me: Uhh. No.

Classmate A: What?? YOU KNOW who Hannah Montana is.

Me: (pondering this briefly) Umm. No. I'm old.

Classmate B: Wow, you are so honest!

Classmate C: Wait. How old are you?

Me: Heh. Old.

Classmate A: (--who actually knows how old I am) Oh.... but I always think of you like you're 22.

Me: Thanks. Probably because I act it.

Classmate A: Yeah, you do, haha.

Classmate A: (some minutes later) Not that I'm saying you're actually old!
The other thing my Californian friends suggested, was to date some little young'un from my class, apparently qualifying me as a Puma? I hope they were joking, because a good portion of my classmates don't even qualify for the unofficial age rule.

That's right. I have classmates who aren't even legally old enough to drink in this country. Like, maybe I could have been their teacher in junior high. Like, maybe instead of wanting to jump their bones, I want to be pinching their cheeks.

FACE cheeks, people.

Labels: , , , ,

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Jets...? Ohhh, that's that group my sister had on all the time for a while. That and Taylor Dayne and Lady Tigra. An interesting time for pop music.

For a moment, I was thinking of "Benny and the Jets", which is way off.

8:25 PM  
Blogger the.nicole.harvey said...

Have I already mentioned how a much younger fella messaged me on a social networking site with the charming line, "you don't look that old."

yeah, and you do look that young and dumb...

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. All day at my new job I fall into the "generation gap". It's funny when people are shocked to know you have worked professionally for so long.

Ugh--- if you violate the 1/2+7 does that make you pervert? (feeling ashamed and worried a bit here)

I am just waiting for shoegazer music and early 90's stuff to come back in style. I think then I will be unable to deny that I am, indeed old.

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home