Sunday, February 10, 2008

Missing out, yet again

If I were doing anything but Toy Design school right now, I would just quit, because I keep missing out on things in New York that are kind of driving me mad:

• I live right on the edge of the biggest Chinatown in the country, and I did nothing to celebrate Chinese New Year, except maybe I picked up red velvet cupcakes for my roommate and me on the way home from school. Even the lobby of my building was decorated for Chinese New Year. Oh, also I had Chinese takeout for dinner. But that's the same as every other night of my week.

• Fashion Week? Was that last week? Wait, don't I go to a fashion school? My roommate went to a fashion show, but I spent my days and evenings either in class or recovering from lack of sleep.

• Oh what's this, one of my friends covered Fashion Week for New York Magazine? And she's releasing a book about celebrity fashion, but I probably won't make her book party, because I will be in CLASS that evening??

• Knitting? Crocheting? Oh was that a hobby of mine? Oh yes, I remember those days. Hey, whaddaya know! My apartment is surrounded by fabric stores, some filled with yarn, but I don't have time for such things. But I did go shopping today for fabrics today for my soft-toy class though, and they don't carry fuzzy fabrics, really, because apparently fabric stores in Manhattan focus on clothing fabrics, not "craft" fabrics.

• Going out Saturday night? Hey, my cousins are inviting me to dinner and a movie! And my roommate is inviting me to the clubs! Oh wait, I had class all-day SATURDAY, and now I'm too tired to get my ass out the door.

• Broken camera? Too bad, I have to put off buying a new one, because I have to buy a $300+ wacom tablet, sculpting/masonry tools, and hundred-dollar textbooks. Luckily I have a fairly decent camera on my cellphone to get me by for now.

• Cute, straight boys who love karaoke? Oh wait, I left those in California. And my roommate is meeting the New York ones for me while I'm out hanging out with gay boys and teenage girls at Spice Girls shows.

At least I have the internets, so I can read and see pictures about all the fun I'm missing. It's like I'm there! But really, I'm not. And I can live vicariously with my roommate, who is apparently now hanging out with our neighbors and spotting the cast of "Make Me a Supermodel" at the local Whole Foods.

BTW, after the Toy Fair ends, in addition to my EIGHT classes, we start volunteering at a headstart program every week.

Well. I can't bitch that much. I did have an amusing adventure last Wednesday, taking the train from Manhattan out to Long Island for the Spice Girls concert. I am rather unfamiliar with the local geography, but I was tickled to pass through Hollis, which reminded me of the Run DMC Christmas song ("Christmas in Hollis").

We got to Nassau Coliseum early, so we stopped a nearby Marriott lobby to grab dinner at a sports bar... where they were playing nothing but Spice Girl songs! And we also got drinks without being carded, while I saw businessmen looking very confused among tables of too-young girls wearing very revealing clothing.

Of course the audience was heavy on the estrogen, with several girls dressed as Posh or Baby Spice, but we did spot the occasional boy who went by themselves!! The show was filled with spectacular stage theatrics, super-girly-fun choreography and the gayest backup dancers ever (who could breakdance and flamenco). Several costume changes and props were involved (including feathers and boas, of course). Costumes were by Roberto Cavalli, and my class BFF and I favored Posh's outfits the most.

We opted out on on the overpriced concert shirts ($45!), but I did buy a tote bag and buttons. To get home (on a school night!) I shared a cab with 5 half-drunk strangers.

After Marketing class on Friday, I went to see Juno with the bff, the only other person I knew who hadn't seen it. After that, we went to the Times Square Sanrio store, Toys R Us, and Sephora–you know, for research!!

So basically, I spend my free time like a Tween.

Tomorrow I think I find out who I'm interviewing with for an internship. I hope it's something good! I better go pick out a nice interview outfit... and oh yeah, finish some drafting and marker homework.

(Spice Girls photo by thewindytree, from the San Jose show. My seats were not quite as awesome.)

Labels: , , ,

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home