Friday, December 30, 2005

Girlish Indulgences

Guilty pleasure of the week:

I like that "Stickwitu" song by the Pussycat Dolls.

I don't like that the title intentionally breaks grammatical and spelling rules just to be cool, because it isn't that cool of a name, in fact, it's really stupid-sounding, but I like the melody. It's very schmaltzy and sweet, but I may actually have to buy this song on iTunes.

I even get annoyed by the lead singer's voice in the song, "Dontcha." And the song just sounds dopey. But somehow she sounds nicer in "Stickwitu." I've always wanted to see the Pussycat Dolls show though. The whole retro-burlesque sassiness seems like a lot of fun, very much in the vein of Chicago the musical. And I love that whole 1940s pin-up girl look.

***

Speaking of which, the current issue of Vanity Fair features a gorgeous Naomi Watts posed as a retro pin-up girl. She's starring in the ultimate monkey movie, King Kong, plus there's an article about purse designer, Lulu Guinness, so of course I picked up the issue. The Lulu article was really fascinating; she has lived in various countries, studyied scenic design, attended culinary school, modelled, acted, sang in a band, and then finally became an entrepeneur of fashionably adorable purses.

Now a couple of her purses are even part of the Victoria and Albert Museum's permanent collection. And later in life, after having a couple kids, she discovered she had bipolar disorder! It's great to read about someone who has tried so many things and eventually found her success, even with some personal struggle.

Lulu Guinness Picnic PurseSo of course after reading this, I decided that I must have a Lulu Guinness bag. I have always wanted one, but usually the ones I wanted were $700. Call me cheap, but that is more than I've paid for anything outside of a car or computer.

But after some searching on the Internet, I found some Lulu bags on sale on Yahoo! Shopping! I chose a very typical embroidered beach storefront purse, a picnic-themed purse (because I have matching red picnic-print shoes), and a makeup bag (to replace my stolen makeup bag). I think this is as good a remedy as DayQuil for my cold.

Happy New Year to me!

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home