Tuesday, December 27, 2005

'Tis the Season to be Shopping

Really, every season is the season for shopping. I find it less stressful to shop for X'mas gifts year-round. And while I'm at it, I also shop for myself year-round. So I try to ease off of buying for myself during the holidays, but sometimes it's hard (see previous entry on Coach shoes and bag). I like to think I am helping the economy.

Knowing my inclination toward cute and stylish items, my sister-in-law, Cat, took me to some great little boutigues in Bucktown.

Habit is a designer's collective, where there are unique clothes and accessories made by various local designers. I spotted a playful leather bag, featuring bright orange patches and green leather leaves that even extended to the interior. It was very cute, but it was around $300, and I had reached my limit on high-end designer bags this year when I bought my ocelot Coach bag. They also have some lovely jewelry made from recycled items, including a set of rings made from old typewriter buttons.

She also took me to Public i, where she picked up some goodies for Ted, including a pair of British cufflinks and retro-whimsical luggage tags. They have men's and women's clothes and accessories and stylish gifts. Their sales staff is very friendly --almost a little too chatty and giddy, but nice anyway. They claimed to get a lot orders from San Francisco. I picked up photo-coasters --one set for me, one for my stash of gifts for others.

My favorite of the boutiques in Bucktown is Penelope. I noticed it attracted a lot of hipster Japanese girls, cooing "Kawaiiii" at various items in the store. There are colorful silkscreen shirts for men and women. I think my cousins Bill and Sam might like it too. There are brightly colored wallets with cute animals stiched on. They even had funny little stuffed germs. Instead of a stuffed animal puppy or cat, you could get a little cuddly e-coli, common cold, or salmonella with a happy face on it for your loved one. Cat picked up a mid-sized handbag for herself. I held remarkable restraint and left without a purchase, but I am sure if I lived here, a good chunk of my paycheck would be spent at this store.

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home