Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Meet the Class of 2009

I really like the diversity among my 15 classmates. I'm also amused that we naturally seated ourselves in demographic groupings. There are 3 rows of tables, which are arranged like so (I'd draw a diagram, but I don't even have Illustrator anymore! Crazy!):
Table 1 (near the front door):
The straight, younger (white and black) dorm guys, plus the quiet, perpetually-headphoned, Chinese girl

Table 2 (center, where I sit):
The Asian (Korean and Chinese) older students, plus the quiet, older white girl

Table 3 (near the back door):
The Hispanic students, & the quiet, older white guy.

(There are three gay guys in the class, one Korean, one white, and one Hispanic. And as far as I know, all the women are straight.)
Luckily, I generally like everyone in my class.

Well, okay, there is this one nosy student, who makes me feel like I'm on a reality show sometimes. If we were on such a show, she would be the highlight of all the commercials, because she ALWAYS has something to say. And everything that comes out of her mouth is vaguely, if not blatantly offensive, insulting, or just kind of crazy. Sadly, she's trying to be funny half the time, and it just comes out sounding insane.

I'm spending the bulk of my waking hours for the next two years with these 15 people, so I'm trying to be patient with the nosy lady, who sits kitty corner from me. She's already joked about inviting herself to my place about three times. I don't know if she realizes I may never be ready to accommodate that request. But I think she's slowly realizing that I'm just tolerating her.

Anyway, today she started getting nosy about my past as a web designer, and so of course she asked me how long I had been working there. I paused, because I realized this would easily give my age away. But then part of me thought that might be fun to surprise the ones who probably thought I was 22. So I said, "Oh, over seven years."

So one of the dorm guys said, "Wow," and paused. And then he said, "So are you like, 25 or something?" And I just laughed and smiled. Either he has his math wrong, or he thinks I've never been to college prior to FIT.

I'm also pleasantly surprised to discover that even the young students totally love the 80s. Sometimes they sound more into it than I am!

One day, we all started reminiscing about favorite cartoons, and luckily they seemed to be mostly the same ones I used to watch, thanks to reruns. And then the 20-year old even said that he and his dorm buddies still watch old cartoons on VHS!! What on earth!? Of course, I am the web-geekiest person in the class, even though I'm the oldest!

And a 22-year old in the class even wears cute 80s dresses everyday. Thanks to her her older sister, she is well-versed in 80s music and pop culture, which is probably why she's the one I'm the closest with in the class. She sometimes plays her music out loud off the computer in class while we're working, and I'm amazed that so many of the classmates will get excited about certain old cheesy 80s songs, and they'll even sing along.

One of the dorm guys asked me if I'd enjoy an Eddie Money concert. I was like, "Wha? What are you doing listening to Eddie Money?" One of the 20-year old guys randomly started singing Wham and later revealed that he loved watching "The Golden Girls" as a kid! And he's straight! Early on, I revealed that I loved karaoke, and ever since then, they've been asking me about when we'll finally go!

One of these days we'll finally go (whenever we miraculously get a break from schoolwork), and I bet it will be CRAZY FUN. They are also talking about going disco-bowling, ice skating, dancing, drinking, and roller skating. My classmates are so cute!

Of course, these activities all just sound like pipe dreams at the moment, because we have a shitload of work due Friday, and next week we have two midterms (one on Chemistry/Plastics, and the other on Developmental Psych), and the week after that, we have a paper due. And I hear our workload will ony get worse. Speaking of which, it's time for bed!

Labels: , , ,

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home