Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Conversations in Toy Design

This last Monday, a third classmate broke down and cried from the overwhelming work that we have to do. She recovered, but then on Tuesday I think the bulk of the class reached its breaking point. Most students weren't able to turn in completed homework on time. And more students than usual didn't make it to class, just out of exhaustion. The students that showed up, looked like zombies.

I'm very behind, myself, but somehow I'm not freaking out. I guess I'm not so concerned about having top grades, and I will be happy to just make it to the end of the semester. And I'm trying to believe that health is more important than suffering multiple all-nighters just to get good grades. And I'm probably in denial about how much work I have to finish in the next week.

At least I'm still able to laugh daily, in the face of this ridiculous crisis. My classmates were saying maybe we should go on strike like the tv writers. --Except that doesn't really work, when we're paying for our own labor abuse.

Anyway, here are some amusing moments I've had in class:
(On our first day of Safety and Materials Class, we each had to introduce ourselves and name a previous job we once had:)

Classmate #1: Uhh, well. I used to work in a cemetery.

Teacher: Wow, what did you do there?

Classmate #2: Were you a gravedigger?

Classmate #1: Yeah. Well, that... and everything else.

Class: ...

Classmate #2: Whoa.

(Later, I learned that the ex-gravedigger --who looks like he would be a gravedigger--, is a big fan of Gilmore Girls, Cyndi Lauper, Blondie, and baking.)

***

Classmate #2: (Shows me her drawing of girly rollerskates) What do you think of these new colors?

Me: Hmm. I guess they're good. But what happened to the rainbows you had before?

Classmate #2: Ohh, I decided that I don't like them. I was looking at it, and I thought they were too wacky.

Me: Wacky? You're drawing unicorn rollerskates, and you're worried about being too wacky?

Classmate #2: They're supposed to be elegant and majestic!

***

Classmate #3: Can you tell me what you think of this design? (explains the details of the toy)

Me: I like it. I think it's a really cool concept.

Classmate #3: Yeah? Thanks.

Me: But one thing...

Classmate #3: What?

Me: You probably want to change that term for this part of the toy. And you might not even need that feature for what you're making.

Classmate #3: Oh?

Me: (whispering) Yeah, cuz "vibrator" generally is used in English to mean a sex toy.

Classmate #3: (--who moved here from Korea) Oh no!! Oh my god. I used this design to enter the program!

Me: Ohhh don't worry. I'm sure they knew English wasn't your first language. They probably had a good laugh about it.


In other news, one of my old dorm neighbors from UCLA (Sproul Hall 4-North Arts Floor, Woot!) made it on People's Sexiest Men Alive list this year! Now that, is wacky!

I'm not so sure about Matt Damon taking top spot. I like him, but I wouldn't call him sexi-EST. And from the picture they used, he's lookin' a little old to me. (Sorry Matt!)

I personally, would have picked Ewan McGregor. I don't think he's even on the list! Or I would have expected JT to take the top spot. I'm also tickled that Michael Cera and Tim Gunn made the list this year. I also would have liked to see Jesse Bradford (of "Bring it On" fame) on the list, but I think I would have been the only one who'd recognize that name. Who would you pick?

Labels: , , ,

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

1 Comments:

Blogger jmania said...

Good stuff! Love those quotes.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home