Sunday, November 04, 2007

Dodging bullets Part II, Wonder Woman style

This year, I dressed up as Wonder Woman for my first Halloween in New York. I even grew my hair out specifically to pull the costume off, with boots, cuffs, tiara, lasso, and all. I even rode the subway to class like that.

People would call out to me, "Hey Wonder Woman!" or "Hey Linda Carter!" Strangely, several people called me "Super Girl." I think the red cape threw them off. Some stopped me to take pictures! It was pretty funny.

My Psych teacher reacted with, "I'm narcissistic enough to think she dressed up for me." And of course, Henry the doorman was really stoked about it. I even went to sewing class this way. But I had to take off the tiara and cuffs, when it started to get a little warm.

Some of my classmates dressed up too, including such characters as Jem, Indiana Jones, and the scary Asian kid from "The Grudge." Two guys dressed as nerds, another girl dressed as a ladybug (borrowed from me), and one dressed as a panda (also borrowed from me).

After sewing class, my classmates and I failed to get a good view of the Halloween parade. So eventually I ended up at Union Square, trying to catch a 3-d showing of "Nightmare Before Christmas." But we got there too late, cuz it was so hard to get through the crowds! So finally I ended up going to a bar in Tribeca before finally heading home.

The next morning, I found out that there was a shooting in Union Square, right after we left the area. I thought I was escaping the Halloween violence of San Francisco, but apparently this stuff just follows me around!

***
Yesterday, at lunch break from sewing class, we had Korean takeout together:
Classmate 1: Man, this is so much better than all the Hot Pockets I've been eating!
Me: Ahh, Hot Pockets. I remember when I used to live on those.
Classmate 2: What's all this "used to" stuff? Why y'always saying "used to"?
Me: Well. I'm old.
Classmate 2: What? You're not old. How old are you?
Me: Uhh, haha. Old.
Classmate 3: (my class bff, who knows my actual age) You don't ask a girl that question!
Classmate 2: Come on, you're not that old. How old are you? 23?
Me: Uhh, haha. No.
Classmate 2: 24?
Me: Hah. Wow. I'm not saying anything anymore!!
Well I need to get back to school and partying with classmates who are turning 21. (hah!)

But in the meantime, you should catch up on episodes (free online!) of my favorite new tv show, "Pushing Daisies." It is a wonderful combination of so many of my favorite things: romance, a sweet boyish lead, murder mystery, magic powers, funny names, Amelie-esque narration, singing, smart dogs, and adorable 50s-styled fashion.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that panda hat just keeps coming back. What a great investment! And a perennially poignant leitmotif in the world of June.

8:53 PM  
Blogger kt said...

wow, 23 eh? your superhero power should be: aging really really well.

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When someone guesses my age, I just say "good guess". I never admit the guess is off by a good 5 or 10 years!

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home