Thursday, December 13, 2007

Conversations in Toy Design #2

I can't even keep track of all the funny stuff that happens with my classmates. It's pretty nonstop, but here a few of the goodies:
Annoying Girl Classmate: (to gay classmate #1) Hey, can I borrow your glue?
Cute gay Classmate #1: You know I'm gay, right?
I thought his response came out of nowhere! I mean, she's always asking to borrow stuff. I couldn't stop laughing about this.

But later, I discovered that the other girls had told him that maybe the annoying girl was clueless enough to not realize that he is gay, insinuating that maybe she was crushing on him. So then it made a little more sense. But it was still funny. Then later, I returned a pen to him:
Me: Thanks!
Gay Classmate #1: You're welcome... but is that all? Just, "Thanks?" How about a kiss? (turning his cheek toward me)
Me: I thought you were gay!
That one made the annoying girl laugh. –The annoying girl who probably doesn't quite realize that I find her as annoying as the rest of the class does.

Gay men looove me. Even the first time I was in college, they loved to act like they had crushes on me; it's really weird. Actually, I did go to prom with a gay friend. But that was more because there were no cute boys in my high school.

Speaking of which, did any of you see that recent Project Runway episode, where Christian was excited about meeting Tiki Barber's wife? He said, effusively, "I looooove Asians. I think Asian women are fierrrce."

***

On a Saturday class, I wore a nicer dress than usual:
Engaged Classmate: You look really nice today. Do you have a date or something?
Me: Heh, I wish I had a date. But no.
Teacher: You're not allowed to have dates in this program, hehe.
Youngest classmate: She's got a date with me. We're gonna have a candlelit dinner, take a long walk, with our toes in the sand...
Me: (laughing) Isn't that from a JT song?
Youngest classmate: A what?
Me: JT. Justin Timberlake.
Youngest classmate: Ohh. I'm not hip to all the new music. I guess I like to listen to the old stuff.
And by "old stuff", I'm guessing he's referring to stuff like Van Halen or Wham, as I've heard him sing in class. (Yes, he's straight.)
Me: Actually I'm going to see some friends who are visiting from California. They're married. Her husband took her to New York as a birthday gift.
Youngest classmate: You have married friends!?!?
Me: Uh, yeah... because I'm old. That's actually normal for me.
Ironically, actually very few of my friends are married. They're all taking their sweet time. I barely have one wedding to go to per year. I like to think it's that my friends are picky, or maybe not all that pressured to get married and have kids.

***

One rare day, when we had the afternoon off, some classmates and I went to an Anna Sui sample sale and tried on all kinds of fun clothes. They all bought stuff, but I didn't purchase anything! (There was one cute spring party dress, but I already have too many of those and not enough charming tea parties to wear them to.)

Anyway, we later went to a nice Korean restaurant for dinner, where one of them ordered plum wine for us all. But they all have very poor tolerance for liquor and subsequently got Asian flush —even the Columbian (gay) guy. (But I'm the weirdo who doesn't get Asian flush.)
Korean Girl: Wherre is the Hello Kitty? Hellooo Kitteeee?? Where is it?
Columbian Guy: What?
Korean Girl: Hello Kitty??? Where is she??
Me: Oh. Uhh.
Korean Girl: Where is Hello Kitty?
Me: I know what she's talking about now. Hahaha. Are you drunk already?
Columbian Guy: What?
Me: It's in my pants!
Korean Girl: When we were trying on clothes. I saw her Hello Kitty. On her butt.
Me: My underwear, okay!? I have Hello Kitty underwear. Yes. Thank you, drunk girl.
Columbian Guy: What was on [BFF classmate]'s underwear?
Me: I don't know! I wasn't looking!
***

My classmates are so sweet. I think they're all kind of rooting for me to meet a nice guy and hear about me going on dates. Alas, I have nothing to tell them. I don't know how they can think I have time to meet anyone. They know I'm in the same crazy program as them!

One day my cell phone rang toward the end of class, and I left the room to take the call (partly because my reception sucks at school –boo AT&T!). They heard me leave as I said, "Hey Sam!" Then I returned after the call ended.
Cute gay Classmate #1: So... how do you feel???
Me: Huh?
Cute gay Classmate #1: After talking to Sammm??
Me: Sam is my cousin! Come on.
Cute gay Classmate #1: Ohhh. You sounded so excited to hear from him.
Me: Well yeah, I like my cousins! And I hear from him like maybe 3 times out of the year. He always calls for a really odd reason.
This time, Sam asked me if I still knitted. As I grew confused by his line of questioning, I finally asked, "What are you getting at?" It turned out he wanted just a little bit of orange, red, or pink yarn so he could make some flies for fly fishing when I see him in Chicago for X'mas. Of course.

I guess I know some wacky people. And I'm related to some! It keeps life interesting.

That's all for now. Next time I'll blog about the discovery of a classmate gone WRONG, who we've all decided will probably get kicked out of the program once the faculty catches on to his shenanigans. Scandal!!!

Labels: ,

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

1 Comments:

Blogger kt said...

you're the weirdo who doesn't get asian flush thanks to some hardcore training from yours truly! hells yah!

j/k. you were born hardcore.

xx,

--kt

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home