Monday, December 10, 2007

PSA: Roofie Alert!

Last Saturday, my roommate went out as usual, this time for a friend's birthday. She met them at a club, where she had a couple drinks. My roommate has probably the highest tolerance for alcohol of anyone I know –despite her diminutive size. But this time, she was falling over after just a couple of drinks.

I wasn't there with her (as I am trapped at toy design school), but luckily our friend Dubbledubs was. Nobody else seemed to think anything fishy was going on, because they were probably all drunk and stupid already, but Dubs was concerned, especially when he saw her fall down and sit on the floor, struggling to get herself to stand back up. She later had difficulty even getting her coat on.

He helped her get home, but as they rode in the cab, he realized how unusual it was for her to lose her motor functions and act so sloppy so quickly, and as he got her home, he started to wonder, had she been roofied?

The next morning, my roommate had no recollection of the night before. She didn't feel hungover, and so we concluded that her drink must have been spiked with roofies when she wasn't looking. She says she usually does watch her drink, but Dubs did recall that this time, she did leave one of her drinks alone for awhile while she helped get drinks for the birthday friend.

I went to school, and told my classmates about this. Then one of my classmates said the same thing happened to her friend just the weekend before, in upstate New York. And if my classmate hadn't been there, nobody would have been alert enough to watch out for this friend, because the other folks were wasted anyway. And then another classmate (a guy! –gay) said it happened to him and a friend in the past too!

My roommate is incredibly lucky to have gotten home safely, because if Dubs hadn't been there, her other partier friends most likely wouldn't have noticed anything was weird and would have left her alone to fall victim to whoever spiked her drink! It's really scary to think about it.

Apparently this happens more often than you may realize! So watch your drinks when you're out! Always bring someone along who will watch out for ya, and watch out for friends who seem to be unusually disoriented.

Labels: ,

Add this blog to My Yahoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home